Tuesday, March 22, 2005

My Secret Garden

Hey ya'll. This is the text copy of the article I wrote for the Zhongshan Ribao (Daily News). It ran in the English Edition for overseas Zhongshan residents. The article is full of warm fuzzys for Zhongshan. Oh yeah, those strange spaces after some words are the Chinese translations for certain local monuments. Enjoy.

When I discovered that I’d be teaching English at Zhongshan College, the first thing I did was consult my travel guidebook, Lonely Planet: China. The passage describing Zhongshan was unflattering to say the least, it reads: “An industrial city, there is little to see or do here. If you get stranded here for an hour or so, the one and only scenic spot in town is Zhongshan Gongyuan…” (____)

Well, I’ve been ‘stranded’ here for 6 months and while the guidebook’s assessment is misleading, but I’m not about to correct them. My ‘secret garden’ is great just the way it is.

To the hurried tourist, Zhongshan might be seen only as the birthplace and namesake of Dr. Sun Yatsen. To me, my new home has hidden wonders that I’m glad have not been heavily trafficked and trampled by too many people. Parks and green getaways weave effortlessly in and out of this city serving as compliments to the atmosphere, not only as tourist attractions.

On any given day, small groups of people can be seen enjoying a quiet stroll in Yatsen Lake Park_______. Some people come here to have a quiet lunch break and others come for a leisurely workout. Within a brief 20-minute walk from the tree-shaded campus there are several oases to sit and chat with my students or to relax and reflect on this experience.

Poor air quality has been an issue for many of the promising cities in China. However, recent investment in factories here has done little to alter the view of the mountains from the college classrooms. In my experience, few Chinese cities can brag about this blend of development and environmental preservation.

Quaint streets nestled behind the rising skyline also offer kind people with warm greetings. Perhaps my stature (I’m 1.8m or 6 feet tall) or my fair skin makes me a local novelty, but their enthusiasm when they say ‘hello’ is always genuine. Plus, they politely exhibit patience as I trip over the 4 tones of Mandarin Chinese –Putonghua_____– in my attempts to make small talk!

Lastly, as an American accustomed to a different pace of life, Zhongshan’s proximity to the cultural and financial hubs of Hong Kong and Guangzhou provide a taste of the big city life without its distractions. When I am visiting our metropolitan neighbors, the temptation to eat western food and protect my cultural habits is too great. Here, I am thrust into Chinese culture and I must adapt, grow and learn in order to thrive.

Growth occurs when we overcome the challenges we face. If I were seeking complacency, rather than a cultural challenge, I would have stayed in my home state of Minnesota.

Through this weekly column I offer a window into the life of a foreigner in China. After receiving a B.A. in political science I came to China with open eyes to observe and experience the pleasure and pains of the world’s fastest growing country.
I hope that you enjoy my columns. Zaijian____. ####

peace. paul

No comments: