Friday, March 18, 2005

Happy St. Patty's Day!

It could be something in the old Irish Catholic blood, but St. Patty's day has always found me on a high note.

Two years ago I was enjoying fresh pints of Guinness at the source of the sauce - Dublin, Ireland. In my company was none other than Mike Mullan, who has been one of my best friends since we met in 3rd grade. The friends, pints and parades created a great memory that lingers to this day.

Last year on St. Patty's day I was nervous. I was nervous because I had a big interview with some real tough-guys from the Maryknoll China Teachers' Program. It wasn't so much the questions they were asking, but the heavy lights they used to warm the room. Wearing a sweater was a bad choice. Not to mention that the lights were so bright I couldn't see their faces. The whole scene was like something out of the Wizard of Oz where I couldn't look "at the man behind the curtain." The electro-shock switches they attatched to my temples were quite unpleasent as well I'm just glad I didn't screw up too bad... Which brings me to...

This year, I'm spent a green holiday in a red country. Luckily, the other guy I'm teaching with - Ryan McCarthy - also studied in Cork, Ireland and was eager to reminisce. I went to a Chinese bar, owned by two Canadians, to enjoy a few Beamish beers from the great city of Cork while I talked to a St. John's grad from St. Paul, Minnesota.

Also, I've just completed my first column for the Zhongshan Ribao - my city's local newspaper. It was fun to write and this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

One more for the record books. I wish you all a very happy St. Patrick's Day! Tip a cold one (or a hot toddy) for me.

Eire go braigh! Slan and slaĆ­te!

No comments: