Thursday, August 19, 2004

Orientations

With a week under my belt in Hong Kong, things are starting to feel more comfortable. Actually, comfort is a drastic understatement when living in Maryknoll's Stanley House. The place is amazing and it feels more like being at an all inclusive resort than in a developing country. The meals are warm and satisfying, yet distictly Western. So far, we've eaten hot dogs, baked beans, hamburgers, jo-jo potatoes and tonight we had fried chicken and cous-cous with steamed carrots. Beer is always in the fridge and as we drink it, they replenish the supply behind our backs. It's an amazingly wonderful place but I don't think the gravity of China has struck me yet as a result of our surroundings. Probably, it's a great way to ease into the year ahead of us...

During our first day of orientation, three questions were asked to the small groups we had formed. I think they provide a great foundation to the fundamental reasons I chose to come to China. Since I have not formally posted much on the subject, here goes...Q and A.

1) What are you most excited about in coming to China? Thanks for asking Alex, I'll answer the best I can. I wanted to come to exotic China, the jewel of East Asia to make new friends and to experience a new culture. With Asia begging for English teachers, it just all makes sense. Also, I went to a doctor and told him my symptoms. He said that China was the perfect remedy to cure the travel bug that has been fastened to me since Ireland.

2) What are you most anxious about? That's eaaasy, man. The teaching part. You know, the whole reason I left my bubble for a year. Just a little scared over making the leap from student to professor in 3 months. I mean I did a lot in those months, but unfortunately I'm not teaching Odd Jobs 121 or Fence Painting 211 (Indians are teaching those, for much lower pay I might add). But, honestly, how should I field questions about Taiwan or Tibet or any of the other issues intreguing me without getting deported. So many sensitive issues...it will be hard to think outside of such a boxed society.

3) What do you hope to gain from the experience? A firm grasp of the culture, which of course includes language proficiency as well as knowledge of their history, politics, economics, health system...tons o questions. I also hope to gain smarter questions about my dreams, desires and the world around me. Although I'm helping others, an internal change is inevitable. It's the reverse mission part - bringing the experience back - that will truely be the judge of my experience. Fin.

This is a fairly breif over view, but I wanted y'all to know that I'm alive and rocking hard in Hong Kong. peace ya'll. paul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are great questions and all, but what ever happened to the questions we actually have on our mind like, when are you going to totally flip out and cut people's head off? or Where is your panda? Are you going to keep it on a leash, or in a cage? That's great your nervous about teaching, but what about the constant threat of attack from SARS, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and Chuck Norris. Luckily they built that wall to keep you safe Paul, use it to your advantage. All China jokes aside, I'm glad that even though you don't live 4 blocks from Rainbow you still have a large cache of JoJo potatoes at the ready, I feel like that kind of sealed the deal, that yes this whole "being in China" thing is OK, oh well and the free beer too. Stay Loose Paul, your next shipment of JoJo's is coming soon. Grand Regards, Andy