Wednesday, August 11, 2004

A One Way Ticket to Hong Kong...

So, I got this one way ticket to Hong Kong, right... That just sounds cool, like something out of a novel. To move this entry along, I'll cut to the meat. Since graduation in May, I've been talking about my adventure to China in the future tense. For a long time it seemed remote, like something you're planning on getting around to doing. That whole escapist philosophy made a prision break this weekend. At a family party at my uncle's house this weekend my reality was given a name and more importantly a date. Throughout the summer people had always asked me, "So, when are you leaving?" Until Saturday (or Friday for that matter) my response had been, "Not until mid-August...I've got some time." As I write this, I'm staring at less than 9 hours of sand left in the hourglass.

The days leading up to these last eight-point-five hours left on American soil have been hectic to say the least. (For a writer's effect that I'm probably making up right now, I'm going to put all the stuff together so the reader struggles to pick it all up. Sorry in advance...here it goes) Runningaroundtowntopickupshoes... packing... fillingmyglassesperscription... totallydominatingQuizWizandPhotoHuntattheOldChicagobar... packing... importingfivepointthreedaysworthofmusicintomyiTunes... meetingfriendsandfamilyforcoffee... packing... andsayinggoodbyetothosethatilove. Whew!

All that driving around and busy-ness has given me some time to reflect but with so many tasks and appointments on my mind, there have been few breaths of fresh air. Such is to be expected when cramming for a long trip. Soon, it becomes like finals - you just want it to be done. This in no way cheapens anything or anyone I've seen or spoken with in the last days, but once you do the prep you've only anxiety to feed off before the test.

Calling it a 'test' could be a great analogy for this 'most excellent adventure.' No grades will be awarded of course, but it's more of a test of character. Sure one can read a book about China's economic situation, but can they deal with extreme poverty? One can read about government oppression and censorship, but can one keep quiet when all one's been taught to do is think critically? One can watch 'Iron Monkey,' 'the Chinese Connection' or 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,' (subtitled of course, cuz the dubbing always freaks me out) but does that prepare someone to fight for his life in the Hong Kong underground, moving from boss to boss trying to avenge the death of his master while returning honor to a dojo shamed by evil Japanese imperialists? Well, the last one went too far...ahhhh, fun with stereotypes.

No matter how you look at it, things will change. Hong Kong, Zhongshan, Minneapolis, Chicago, New York, Vermillion South Dakota. It's all about how we adapt and grow WITH these changes. For better? Forever?

In mass last week, our priest talked about Christopher Columbus. WTF? He said that when explorers before Columbus travelled the ocean, they always hugged the coast line to keep land in sight. Columbus, in contrast, said, "That's cool and all, but if ya'll don't mind I'm just going to ahead and sail straight across the ocean. Umm...yeah, I think I'll just go ahead and do that." They thought he was crazy, or a few oars short of a sailboat. (What?) What Columbus posessed was a sense of adventure and above all faith in himself and his path. It seemed to work for good ole' Chris, so we'll see how I fare. Hopefully the pirates get me before the scurvvy does. Aaarrrrggh!

Stay classy America. This is not goodbye, only good luck. Peace. paul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude it definitely took my like ten tries and three codes to beat that final boss on Ninja Gaiden, if you ever run into him you have to jump right after he throws the ball of fire then go for a body shot, just a tip.
I hope you got off the plane OK, and Hong Kong is totally bomb. Never forget dude, blogging is the bumps. Be safe, eat your vegetables, and don't let Lord Evil take too many hit points.

Andy