Sunday, August 08, 2004

Going away, Part-AY!

Last night my friends threw a killer going away bash for me at Club 878 (also known as Andy and Mark's house). It was so amazing and overwhelming to be surrounded by most of my good friends and Nick Weinhagen's nose rings. Listing the whole group would be sheer name dropping, but needless to say they are all very important to me. Plus, some of them gave me scrap book momentos that will serve as a constant reminder that great friendships last beyond school and across oceans. The scrap book holds many of my fondest memories (4 wheelin' at the cabin, MV Student Council, Darren Ellefson) along with some hilarious moments that should have been left where they were (my torrid love affair with Kelly MacDonald, Robin's undying love for me OR Jayme Meyers, Hans Strommen). Big thanks to "my feminine consciences" for the beautiful book and the good luck card. Memories will decrease the distance.

As for the rest of the party, Andy had a great time...a GREAT time. Once he realized that he was having too much fun, he kindly excused himself and passed the title of party host on to me. This surprise move was slightly unorthodox, as my name was on the cake, but I happily played host while Andy passed out. Face down on the porch is the new queen bed. As Captain of the party, I think I did a pretty good job. Only one lamp got broken. Although that technically happened on Andy's watch, I still have a horrible feelling that my foot may have had something to do with the lamp shade popping off. But, c'mon, who's counting?

It's funny how small coincidences can influence emotions. After everyone filed out and made their way home, I found myself on the porch with a half-passed out Andy. As the tail lights of Billy's Civic faded out of sight, it began to rain. The sound was soft and calming at first. Yet, as the drops came harder and harder I discovered that my eyes had been replicating the heavens and I was crying in sync with the rain. By that point it had just been too much. Too much fun. Too much laughter. Way too much whisky. (Note to self: chasing Jim Beam with Beam n' Coke is NOT a good idea.) Too much history to leave behind. These same thoughts gave me tremendous strength as well. Once I collected myself, I was reminded just how lucky I am to have great friends who go to great lengths to make me feel special. While I'll be away for one-year-plus, I know that they'll be with me always.

I'm sorry if much of this posting sounds overly dramatic, but the gravity and reality of leaving for China in 4 days hit me hard last night and overwhelmed me sumpin' fierce. It's cliche, but you never really know what you have until you're forced to leave it. You know, like going to college for 4 years and then bam! you graduate. Or like that one sweet spot in the elm tree where you can see Jenny Dunbar changing in her room everynight. Binoculars aren't even needed! Then, all of a sudden she slaps a restraining order on you and you can't go within 50 feet of her or her blue house with white trim on Pascal Lane. Man alive! Ok, that got too personal, but you get the idea. My friends mean the world to me, yet I'm comforted to know that they think the same, and will always be there when I need them. Emailing and blogging is the new hanging out. Peace and much love to you all. Paul.

No comments: