Friday, December 30, 2005

For Better or Worse, Vol. II

A top student's final essay on the topic of China's development: For Better or Worse... (See Vol. I for a full description.)

For better or worse

Time and tide wait for no man. Everyday I wake up from bed; nothing seems to have changed around me. In fact, everything is changing without my awareness. With the days go by, I am growing up. And then, with the days go by, I am to be aging. With the days go by, my hometown is growing rapidly and so is my motherland, China.

Walk down the lane of my neighborhood, everything has changed a lot. The original school has been modernized. It is well equipped and the playground became more beautiful. The old ancestral has been rebuilt into a new monument a year ago. My neighborhood became more beautiful than it was before.

On the other hand, the people changed too, which I do not think it to be better. To them, everyone is dangerous except their family. If they meet a stranger who just wants to ask the way, they will just answer they don't know because they think the strangers are cheaters. What would you feel if you were treated as a cheater when you just want to know the way? In the past, the adults used to talk with the neighbors when their children were playing after supper in the summer outside of the house. After the neighbors changed into some new ones in recent years, the happy sight no longer exists. Everyone is protecting himself or herself from danger because crime commitment is on a high level. Suspicion is everywhere even at the corner of the road. The whole society is one that is full of suspicion and scarce.

The phenomenon is not only in my own village, but reflects the whole country! With the development of economic nowadays, our country is becoming richer and stronger. Convenient transportation takes people to where they want. Modern equipment makes life easier. Beautiful parks are built to provide people relax places. At the same time, modern homes are equipping whatever they could do in case that burglars break in. People are always paying attention to the people around them, in the eyes full of suspicion and hidden scarce.

Everything is changing, for better or for worse. I don't know what will happen in the future. Perhaps ten years later, the whole society would be modernized highly. The transportation would be more convenient. The cities would become more beautiful. More beautiful parks would be build for relaxing under the protection of the government. But would the safety of society, there would not be so many suspicions among people. Why are there so many crimes? Maybe it due to the unequal of poverty! If everyone were rich, who would like to be a burglar? If everyone is rich is rich, would would be afraid of each other? Unless everyone of the country is rich, there would be no burglarproof bars on the balcony. The houses of we Chinese would not be like bird's cages. If in ten years time, we can change the situation now, the society would be one full of kindness.

As a citizen of China, I have the responsibility to make contribution to the society. But what can I do? It's not a problem I can solve by myself, but depends on the hardworking of the whole nation. I would love to devote myself to the whole nation.

When would the day that everyone treats each other sincerely without suspicion come? I don't know! Who ever knows?

####

和平。paul.

No comments: