Friday, August 19, 2005

The Kong Show

Well, I've been safe in HK for the last week as new Maryknoll vols rolled in. Now, they are busy with orientation (learning about China, teaching in China and the Catholic Church in China.... in China) and, on the days that I don't help out with, I've got the days to myself. Landing at the HK airport felt really good. It was familiar and effortless to get back to Maryknoll and begin my second year abroad.

Already I've had a great time. I'm really connecting well with the new vols and will remain close with the returning ones as well. Having a position of leadership - or at least seniority - is also great because I truely like talking about my experience. Thank you to all the probing minds back in MN who peppered me with those tough-to-answer questions of value, purpose and novelty. With your help, I've been able to reflect deeply on my experience and extend my enthusiasm onto future volunteers.

My month in MN was wonderful, but too short. I hardly got to see the Solar House guys and I would have liked to spend more time with my grandma in Duluth. A month was too short... In all, it was a truely great Homecoming. Hopefully those who didn't get to visit me last year will come out for a visit to HK, Zhongshan and the Great Wall!

much love,
paul.

No comments: