Thursday, June 16, 2005

Exit Polls


Gadgits and stuff
Originally uploaded by since81.
This was probably my most fun class. Many days, all I'd have to do is give them an assignment and they would run with it, laughing all the way.

Well, today was my last day of classes. I suppose that this is as good a time as any to reflect upon my year.

I still remember the first day. Clutching my opening lesson plan - Introductions - I was excited and nervous to get in front of a class. Plus, i knew nothing about their English level or their confidence.

The result was mixed. Some were clearly more confident than others, and of those brave souls, only a further fragment had the ability to back it up. Still, the first day rolled by and my fear was unfounded.

One student, Xiang, didn't have an English name and slept most of the class. As I asked him during the break if he'd like to choose an English name from a list I had brought, another student had to translate what i was saying into Cantonese for him. He chose Sean (phonetically the same as his Chinese name) which reminded me of my cousin. A good name.

Last Wednesday, after our final class, Sean came up to me and was laughing, joking and making eye contact with me as he spoke. His English is still no where near the top of his class, but he feels comfortable speaking with me. I was so proud.

Of course, I humbly cannot take credit for their ability. I did little to build their vocabulary. What my class did provide was a way to make English accessable, alive and (get this!) fun.

Through offering students an avenue to practice what they studied and to have a few laughs in the process, they were able to find it in themselves to become more comfortable with hearing their voices in a foreign language and well, just more comfortable.

Sean is one story of many. However, there were many students who failed first and second semester after 'promising' me to make a stronger effort. These I could not help. No one could. Yet, it's the maturation, or blooming, from shyness to confidence that was most spectacular for me.

From China with Love, paul.

No comments: