Monday, May 23, 2005

The Plan

Since high school, the indie rock giants Built to Spill have been on constant rotation in my playlist. One song in particular struck me as fitting as pieces of my life come into greater focus...

"The Plan keeps coming up again. The plan won't accomplish anything that's not implemented." -Doug Martch, Built to Spill

You can have a plan, but it won't accomplish anything unless you do it. Do it. So, as more opportunities arise for me here in China I have chosen to stick around to accomplish them. My original plan in coming to Asia was to hone my writing skills and pursue a career in international journalism. Writing for the Zhongshan Daily has been a great experience, one that I hope to continue, and it has opened more opportunities for me to enjoy my working time here.

A group of ex-pats - mostly Germans - are longing for an avenue to connect the ex-pat community and keep them informed of things to do and social gatherings. The result? I will be writing an ex-pat newsletter as well as an English guide to Zhongshan for the ex-pats of the present and future. It will be sort of like an interactive Lonely Planet and will include: emergency contact info, a list of doctors and health professionals who can offer advice in clear English terms, restaruant guide, maps, etc. A single location for these important things is lacking, so I will help to bring it all together.

Along with this, the college has agreed to reduce my hours, increase my salary and allow me to have more control over my course load. So, when I return to Zhongshan college next fall I will hopefully be teaching some oral English as well as English Composition and an American film class. I think this will be pretty awesome, so I am happy and confident in my decision.

Before year two - something completely different!! I WILL be returning to the United States for a month this summer. My flight will arrive in MSP on July 11 and I will depart again for Hong Kong on August 9. I can't wait to see you all and be back with the people I love and miss in the city that I love and miss!!!!

much love. peace. paul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear you're coming back to your true home Paul Wegerson. It's also good you're helping out the people there that used to be named Pat, and now go by another monicker, possibly, Doug, Steve, or Lucinda. People with sexually ambiguous names typically need more help in foriegn countries, I'm glad to hear you've stepped up to the plate. We have a lot of things planned for you when you get back Paul, so bring your party hat, and some Chapstick, Sommer's been waiting some time for your return. Come home soon y'all. Ando