Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Underground Church; State Media

The NYTimes ran an article yesterday about China's state-sponsored Catholic Church offering condolences to the Vatican. The language is less forceful than the direct quotes of my last posting, but it offers a little more insight to the underground church in China. Of course, the recent arrests of two underground priests somehow went unmentioned in the China Daily. Hmmmm, I wonder why?

Also, the press coverage of these Catholic mourning services has been interesting. In Zhongshan, I receive TVB Pearl and ATV World which are both broadcast from Hong Kong. Whenever a touchy subject comes up on the 7:30 or 10:00 news, the stations simply cut to commercials for 2 minutes until the situation blows over. This example is from Monday's Pearl broadcast: "Thanks, Gail. I'm here right now outside a church in Kowloon where the turnout is much larger than expected. As a result, the church has placed overflow seats in rooms adjoining to the chapel. Let's go inside to take a..." Then some lady comes on who is brushing her hair, smiling and telling me that my face can also be baby-butt smooth if I buy this Oil of Olay product. The same frustrating thing happens when HK media talks about developments in the Taiwan issue or anything alluding to democracy in HK. WTF?

No comments: